11 Things Diwali Does Better Than Any Other Holiday – Buzzfeed ArticleNicole Sparks
Not everyone has been lucky enough to double-fist laddoos and sparklers. For your gora friends, here is the perfect post to describe all the magic that is Diwali in a way they’ll understand.
1. Achha, Diwali is all about diyas. All they need to know is that there’s a LOT of them.
Like candles, but tiny oil lamps! Or just loads and loads of string lights.
2. You get presents, so basically you can explain to them that it’s kind of like receiving gifts for Christmas or Hanukkah.
Sometimes you get some cute clothes or shoes, but most of the presents are dried fruits and other sweets that you can eat up until next Diwali.
3. You might also get $$$. It’s just like a visit to grandma!
Make it rain!
4. If they ask what exactly you’re celebrating, just explain that it’s Lord Rama’s homecoming from a seriously long exile.
But, kind of like Halloween, there are a few different origin stories
5. There are also fireworks and sparklers! You know, like for the 4th of July, but with even more firepower.
You have to light Rama’s way home!
6. Wearing new clothes is a big part of Diwali, so go ahead and let them know it’s a little like the first day of school.
Matching outfits are not required, but you gave up on trying to tell ma that.
7. And don’t forget about the DEEP cleaning your home will get — like spring cleaning, but in the fall.
You don’t just put your best foot forward with clothing but with your house too. Try to get out of it, and you’ll get dragged by the ear.
8. Everybody is there, so it’s a huge family reunion with food way better than barbecue.
9. You get to eat TONS of sweets too — so think Halloween but with jalebis.
Mithai > old, linty lollipops and boxes of raisins any day.
10. And, like with Halloween, you get to decorate your doorway. But instead of jack-o’-lanterns, you have rangolis.
You can use stencils for rangolis too. But if you’re not using them, rangolis take SO much skill and SO much sprinklinggg. Don’t mess up.
11. Last but not least, there are totally unreal Black Friday–esque sales.
It’s time to empty all your online shopping carts.